Wednesday 6 April 2011

Anak didik saya : Harziah Bt Khalid


Visually impaired candidates score strings of As

“I will probably go to SMK St John in Kuala Lumpur and apply for a local university after that,” he said.
He was registered under the special students category for the examination.

“I took nine subjects and though I did target As, I did not expect to get any A+,” he said.

Harnizah Khalid Yunos, who is also partially blind, said she was very happy with her six As even though other people may not consider this to be a great result.


“I met my target; so I am very grateful. My school SMK Badin in Tuaran is in a very rural area where we only have the basic necessities,” she said.

“Furthermore, most of my schoolmates are normal students so for me, this is a great achievement,” the plucky lass from Sabah said.

She said although her mother was uneducated, the cleaning lady had always stressed the importance of education to her.


“She wants to hold a small thanksgiving kenduri when I get back,” she said.

Harnizah, who hopes to become a teacher one day, is praying for a generous soul to donate a laptop to her.

“I am now learning to use the computer for the first time in my life and I hope that someone can help me,” she said.

The two 20-year-olds are currently undergoing an IT course at the St Nicholas Home in Penang.

The home’s IT trainer Amir Teh said there were 22 SPM special students who received their re-sults by phone yesterday.


Narayana: I hope to pursue an accountancy programme

“The students are here to learn how to use a computer to prepare them for their tertiary education later,” he said.

Those keen on helping Harziah can call the home at 04-2265911.

The other special students who performed well were Eugenia Cheah Lyngene from SMK Convent Pulau Tikus, S. Narayana Samy from SMK Haji Zainal Abidin and Regina Hoo from SMK (P) St George.

St George principal Shariffah Afifah Syed Abbas said she was very proud of Regina, who obtained seven As despite being partially blind.

Narayana, who got five As and three Bs, said he was keen on pursuing his studies in accountancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment